Investigation launched after female fire fighter nearly choked to death.

A FEMALE fire fighter nearly died in a house fire after the air pipe on her breathing apparatus disconnected.
Instead of breathing in oxygen, she ended up taking in toxic black smoke and nearly choked to death.
Quick-thinking colleagues spotted her in distress and pulled her out of the building on Richmond Road, Dublin.
She was then rushed by ambulance to the nearby Mater Hospital for treatment.
The incident, which happened about five minutes after the fire fighter entered the building after the force received a 999 call to the premises around 4am last Thursday week, July 2, is now being investigated by Dublin Fire Brigade.
It is the second such investigation in almost as many weeks by the force into injuries sustained by its fire-crew during call-outs.
One is under way into the force’s handling of the June 10 Portmarnock sewerage tragedy in which two men died.
While attempting to rescue Alan and Stephen Harris, who had been trying to clear a blockade in the sewerage system on the exclusive Drumnigh Wood Estate in north Co Dublin, three fire crew were injured.
A spokesperson for Dublin City Council said last night: ‘As part of standard operational procedures, Dublin Fire Brigade is conducting an investigation into this incident.
‘All matters relating to the incident will be duly dealt with within this framework.
‘We have nothing further to add on this incident.’
A spokesperson for Scott Safety – which makes the breathing apparatus Dublin Fire Brigade uses – said last night: ‘Scott Safety confirms that they are aware of the alleged incidents at Dublin Fire Brigade and will fully cooperate with the investigation team.
‘Our number one priority is and has always been the safety of the firefighters and all users of our equipment.
‘We are continuing to closely monitor this situation and will provide additional information as it becomes available.’
Thursday’s incident is the latest of a string of mishaps involving the force’s controversial breathing apparatus.
Last month, on June 16, there was another incident involving one of the force’s breathing apparatus (BA) system.
A fire fighter attending a 2am house fire in the Kilbarrack area of Dublin had to discard his BA after the air cylinder on his back dropped out of the back plate holding it in place.
Although user error was suspected, it dropped out because of a faulty couplet holding it in place.
The faulty BA set has now been sent away for repair.
Last September, a fireman was left gasping for air while fighting a blaze in a burning building when his breathing apparatus malfunctioned.
As the time, it was second incident in eight weeks this had happened.
And it followed on from an incident in January when the breathing apparatus of two other firemen stopped working during an operation to rescue eight people from a blazing building.
As at the time, at least another eight ‘catastrophic episodes of equipment failures’ had been reported to Dublin City Council chiefs in less than two years.
In September’s case, a fireman had reached the first landing in a derelict building opposite Coombe Hospital on Cork Street, in Dublin’s south inner city.
His crew, from Dolphins Barn station, had rushed to the 7.30pm fire fearing there might have been someone inside.
But as they began fighting the blaze inside, the breathing apparatus of one firefighter suddenly stopped working.
That and an earlier malfunction during a training exercise in Blanchardstown, were also investigated.
Since last September, DFB has made a number of improvements and taken on board a number of safety concerns raised by the Irish Fire and Emergency Service Association (IFESA)
The association launched a High Court action against Dublin City Council over the ‘regular failures’ of the Scott ACSFX BA apparatus and the case is ongoing.
The union has claimed not enough was being done to address their concerns about this equipment, which was introduced into the brigade in late 2011.
Shortly after the equipment was introduced, however, issues started to emerge.

Carbon monoxide poisoning threat from illegally-installed appliances in up to 8,000 public premises

Miriam Reidy Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Gas Networks Ireland CO awareness ‘Tommy’ campaign.

THERE ARE an estimated 8,000 public premises in Ireland that have illegally-installed boiler and heating appliances.
The Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors Ireland say premises include small hotels, bed and breakfasts, youth clubs and hairdressers.
Earlier this year, the APHCI told an Oireachtas committee that an estimated 18,000 illegal boilers have been fitted every year since 2009.
As it has always been reported that these are domestic fuel burning appliances have been installed for domestic purposes, it has always been assumed they have been installed in homes.
And as a result of concern about domestic installations – largely raised by APHCI – the registration and control of installers has been greatly tightened up.
But it has now emerged that thousands of these domestic appliances have also been installed in public premises.
Under the Commission for Energy Regulation’s RGii registration and regulatory scheme, anybody installing a domestic appliance has to be properly certified.
The revelation that dodgy domestic appliances have been installed in public premises comes as the sister of a woman who died of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in a Cork hotel has launched a campaign to legislate for CO gas alarms to be fitted in public premises.

Miriam Reidy carbon monoxide poisoning
‘It is heart-breaking to think a young woman, our sister, died and there was no accountability on any level for her death.’

Siobhan Barrett launched the campaign yesterday out of frustration at seeing so little done in the wake of her sister Miriam Reidy’s death in January 2011.
She wants to do what she can to make sure nobody again dies in the same circumstances as her sister, who died from the deadly gas emitted from the hotel’s commercial heating system.
At present, CO alarms only have to be fitted into new build dwellings and commercial premises are not obliged to have them.

Sean Giffney carbon monoxide poisoning Miriam Reidy
Sean Giffney: ‘This is something that needs to be looked at as a matter of urgency.’

APHCI chairman Sean Giffney said last night: ‘It’s very difficult to know the illegal element that are installed in small premises.
‘There are no regulations covering the installation of boilers in commercial premises.
‘We know of commercial premises that have had installed domestic appliances, and as such they come under the control of the RGii certification scheme.
‘But given that we also know the total estimate of illegally installed fuel burning appliances, we believe a small proportion – between 6,000 and 8,000 – of these are used in public premises.
‘This is something that needs to be looked at as a matter of urgency.’
On Mrs Barrett’s campaign, he added: ‘We would support what she is trying to do.
‘We believe these alarms can be put in at a relatively low cost and it’s a commons sense measure we also believe should be legislated for.

Adrian Cummins carbon monoxide poisoning  Miriam Reidy
Adrian Cummins: ‘I can’t see our members objecting to putting in CO alarms if the cost and the science is right and stacks up.’

Last night, the Restaurants Association of Ireland was the first organisation to show backing for Mrs Barrett’s campaign.
CEO Adrian Cummins said: ‘You have to think about the logistics of something like this.
‘But I can’t see our members objecting to putting in CO alarms if the cost and the science is right and stacks up.
‘We would be delighted to support this initiative if it was brought in on a voluntary basis to begin with to see how it gets one.
‘People in the business community need to be educated about the need for such alarms and that some kind of voluntary code should be agreed to.
‘The government needs to look at this as well, as do the various other business bodies.’
He added: ‘A CO alarm is like a smoke alarm. It’s the same principle.
‘If the costs are at a minimum, I’d say restaurants would do it.’

Carbon Monoxide suffering
Bord Gas Networks ‘Tommy’ campaign: Stone dead in three minutes.

Owen Wilson, Head of Network Safety, Gas Networks Ireland, said: ‘Carbon Monoxide poisoning is completely preventable.
‘Correct installation, regular maintenance and servicing of fuel burning appliances by a registered technician and safe use of appliances are the best means of keeping your home and business safe.
‘For added protection, Gas Networks Ireland recommend the fitting of one or more audible carbon monoxide alarms.
‘Gas Network Ireland supports a range of initiatives to counteract the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.
‘Information campaigns, regular servicing, competency schemes, enforcement of existing codes and new legislation can all play a role in reducing the incidence of carbon monoxide poisoning.’
Do you know anybody who has lost a loved one from carbon monoxide poisoning? Contact randomirish @ icloud . com

ends

Investigation launched into Dublin Fire Brigade handling of Portmarnock sewerage tragedy

AN INVESTIGATION has been launched into Dublin Fire Brigade’s handling of the recent Portmarnock sewerage tragedy in which two men died.

It is likely to take up to six weeks and was instituted by DFB because three crew were injured during the June 10 mission to rescue Alan and Stephen Harris. Two of those fire fighters only only returned to work Saturday. A third is due to return tomorrow.

All three had not been passed fit for work after they ended up being covered in raw sewerage during their bid to rescue Alan and Stephen. The Harris brothers died after they separately succumbed to fumes while they were working to clear a blockage in the sewerage system on the Drumnigh Wood Estate, in Portmarnock, north County Dublin.

Drainage company Harris Drain Tech director Alan, 45, was the first of the two to fall into the sewerage system.

Alan Harris of Harris Drain Tech
Alan Harris

He is believed to have been about half way down the 12-meter shaft when he collapsed. His younger brother and part-time actor Stephen, 32, raced down after his brother to try and save him but he too succumbed to the fumes. While Alan died at the scene, paramedics managed to revive Stephen but he tragically died two two days later.

Fire crew had to strip naked in front of onlookers.

Because three fire fighters were injured, Dublin Fire Brigade has launched an internal inquiry, which is due to take about six weeks. Sources say there are issues over why various protective or rescue equipment were either not used at all or only for a portion of the DFB’s rescue mission.

Stephen Harris of Harris Drain Tech
Stephen Harris

For example, although dry suits were at the scene, they were not used. This is because a decision was taken to send the fire fighters down to try and save the Harris brothers’ lives as quickly as possible.

All three crew who went into the sewer ended up being – according to sources – ‘almost entirely covered’ in raw sewage. They went down dressed in their standard-issue fire wellington boots, fire trousers and fire tunics.

While the trousers and tunics have certain thermal properties to give wearers some protection against extreme heat, they are neither fire retardant or water proof. Had they worn dry suits, they would have been protected against the sewage.

In addition, because there was no contamination suite erected at the scene of the tragedy, all three had to strip naked. Watched by onlookers, including school children, their colleagues then hosed them down.

They were later taken to Dublin’s Beaumont Hospital for injections and tests in the same ambulance.

It has also emerged that it was not possible to erect and operate the force’s Quad Pod rope haulage and harness system (pictured during a training exercise just days previously) to bring Stephen – the first of the two brothers to be brought up – to the surface.

Using the device greatly increases the speed with which casualties can be brought to the surface. Bystanders on the estate where the rescue was being conducted were used to help haul Stephen Harris to the surface because there wasn’t time or extra staff available to erect the force’s Quad Pod.

While the fire officers knew what they were doing, the bystanders who helped haul the first casualty up didn’t and pulled too fast. As a result, Stephen snagged half way and fell partially out of the rope hold he was in and on top of one of the fire fighters, dislodging his breathing apparatus.

However, when the Quad Pod was erected and a harness used, Alan was brought to the surface without incident. It has also emerged that the two fire engines and one rescue tender with a crane and specialist equipment sent to scene were each a man down.

As a result, the number of designated fire crew tasked with specifically rescuing the Harris brothers from the sewerage system totalled 12 – five on board Delta 61 fire engine, four on-board Delta 41 fire engine, two on board Delta 35 rescue tender and one district officer.

Because D61 came from Kilbarrack, which is a one-pump fire station, the vehicle should have had six crew on board and D41 should have had five crew on board as it came from North Strand, which is a two-pump station.

Fire crews practiced near-identical rescue days before Portmarnock tragedy

D35 should have had three crew on board as it came from Phibsboro, which is also a two-pump station.

While there were 12 crew designated to rescue the Harris brothers, a further six were designated to tend to them when they were each brought to the surface before taking them to hospital.

In addition, one DFB crew member was used to drive an advanced paramedic vehicle containing three National Ambulance Service paramedics. A senior officer later attended the scene.

So, of the total of 20 DFB at the scene, about 13 were directly involved in the rescue while a further six tended to casualties.

This contrasts with the estimated 19 DFB crew who took part in a training exercise (pictured above) just days earlier in the grounds of Dublin’s iconic Poolbeg Generating Station.

The object of that training exercise was to rescue a single casualty trapped and injured in a confined space, deep below ground. Three fire engines – Deltas 31, 32 and 11 attended with a total of 15 crew on board.

A further three fire crew on board the rescue tender Delta 35 – the same vehicle used in Portmarnock – are believed to have attended the training exercise.

In addition, a Dublin Fire Brigade district officer attended. The exercise was almost identical to the real-life incident in Portmarnock.

‘Number of personnel attending and weight of response to incident was appropriate’

Asked why fire crew had not worn dry suits, a Dublin City Council spokesperson confirmed there had been dry suits on site but said: ‘Following a dynamic risk assessment carried out by the incident commander, it was decided to carry out an immediate rescue to save valuable time in effecting the rescue.’

When asked about the fact that the Quad Pod was not used for the first rescue, they added: ‘The setting up of the quad pod would have taken up valuable time which would have delayed the rescue effort for the first casualty.’

A Dublin City Council spokesperson said: ‘Dublin City Council extends its deepest sympathies to the families of the Harris brothers who died following the tragic incident in Portmarnock.

‘One Fire-fighter who had his face mask dislodged felt nauseous and at this point is was decided that he and the other two Firefighters should be taken to hospital as a precaution.

‘It is reasonable in these circumstances that all three Firefighters travelled in the same vehicle. Additional Ambulances could have been requested at any stage during the incident

‘A total of 20 Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) Fire-fighters/Officers attended the incident including a senior on-call Fire-Officer. The number of personnel attending and the weight of response to this incident was appropriate and in line with pre-determined attendance.

‘To help ensure appropriate resources are available DFB operates a minimum manning level which is maintained through staff management procedures.

‘This incident was not designated a hazardous-material incident (based on the data received from initial call). As a result, the hazardous-material unit was not mobilised.

‘All front line vehicles have a primary decontamination capability which was used in this case. The number of appliances and personnel who respond to an incident is based on the information provided by the caller to the control room.

‘There is a PDA (Pre-Determined Attendance) for each incident type which is dispatched by the controller, at this incident the response was appropriate and in accordance with PDA as stated previously.

‘In all training the goal is to maximise the learning outcomes, as a result the Officer in Charge of a training exercise ensures as many as possible can attend. The number of personnel at a training exercise is not an indicator of how many personnel are required at an actual incident.’

They added: ‘Of the three Fire-fighters who were referred to hospital for assessment, two are expected to return to their normal shift (on) 27th June. The third Fire-fighter has been confirmed fit for duty from Monday, 29th June’.

Do you have a news story? Email randomirish @ icloud . com