THE body of Kerry accountant John JJ O’Connor has been found by crews
searching the ruins of buildings hit by the earthquake in New Zealand
His body was been found in the Pyne Gould Corporation building where
he had been working in his first-floor offices when the 6.3-magnitude
earthquake hit Christchurch.
The news was broken to devastated family, who had mounted a vigil
outside the building which had been badly damaged in the February 22 (12.51pm local time) quake.
It is not known if the 40-year-old father-of-one from Abbeydorney will
be brought home for a burial or whether a date has been set for his
A Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman said last night: ‘We can
confirm that John’s body has been found and identified.
‘We are giving his family every assistance we can at this time.’
Formal confirmation that Mr O’Connor died in the quake brings to two
the number of Irish victims in the disaster.
The first victim to be identified among the dead was Monaghan man, Eoin McKenna.
The 41 year old was crushed to death while sitting in his car in a car
park moment after speaking to his wife Sarah top tell her he was
shopping for a meal he had been due to cook later that evening.
At the time, she was visiting relatives with the couple’s two
children, Grace, six, and Tadhg, five. He had moved to Christchurch to
live shortly after marrying Sarah about six years ago.
His mother Theresa and brothers Ciaran and Brendan are currently in
the city arranging the repatriation of his body.
It was his ‘express wish’ that he was to be buried in his native Monaghan.
His body is expected to arrive back in Ireland on Sunday with a
funeral expected to be around Tuesday.
Mr O’Connor moved to New Zealand late last year after a long stint
working in London.
As well as having a two-year-old son, wife Sarah is pregnant with the
couple’s second child.
The two Irishmen are among the 166 fatalities officially registered
but there are still a further 122 missing people.
The discovery of Mr O’Connor’s body brings to an end the prolongued
anguish the family suffered after there were reports that he was among
a group of people in the PGC building who were alive and talking to
Retired priest, Fr Ned Barrett – who is filling in for the current
parish priest – said last night: ‘This is news to me as I had only
been talking to members of John’s family at mass on Sunday.
‘Then they were still very anxious about finding him as he was still
reported as missing.
‘Our prayers are with his family at this very sad time.’