Today’s election proceedings so far – brief summary.

 The day was predictably dominated by further successes for Fine Gael and a hammering for Fianna Fail.

Fine Gael won a further nine seats, with Fianna Fail, Labour and Independents each gaining three seats.

By 9am, 34 constituencies had already finished but there were nine yet to fill with no TDs elected the previous night in three of them. These were Galway-East, Galway-West and Wicklow.

One of the highlights of the day was the drama unfolding at the Dun Laoghaire count where two seats were left to be filled.

Fine Gael’s Mary Mitchell O’Connor won one of them, with the Green Party’s Ciaran Cuffe being eliminated on the sixth count and Fianna Fail’s Barry Andrews going on the seventh.

This left left Labour’s Ivana Bacik, Fianna Fail’s Mary Hanafin and independent Richard Boyd Barrett to fight it out among themselves for the last seat.

A delay was caused after votes had to be re-checked, but of the three – Bacik was the first to concede defeat. She did so just before 1.30pm after talks with the returning officer tasked with re-checking of votes.

To loud cheers at the Loughlinstown Leisure Centre count centre, Boyd Barrett was finally elected.

With all five seats still up for grabs, and the highest amount of candidates’ votes to go through, progress was never going to be swift in Wicklow.

Indeed, whatever progress was made was effectively postponed after Fianna Fail’s Dick Roche called for a complete recount.

He called for one shortly before he had been eliminated at the 13th count – which itself had been stopped for a votes re-check.

By 4.44pm, 13 candidates from Wicklow – where lawyers for Sinn Fein were reported to have shown up in the morning – had been eliminated.

Although mostly independents, they included the Green Party’s Niall Byrne – one of the last chances the decimated parliamentary party had of seeing any of its candidates elected.

Labour’s Conal Kavanagh was also illuminated, prompting Sinn Fein’s John Brady to suggest he could take a third seat.

But late in the afternoon, sitting Fianna Fail TD Dick Roche called for – and got – a recount.

A total re-examination and recount was also granted in Laoise-Offaly – where four seats had yet to be filled – after a 6pm request from Fine Gael’s Liam Quinn and was due to start at around 8pm.

Party officials called for it after the tenth count during which it had been confirmed only 26 votes lay between Quinn and Fianna Fáil’s John Moloney.

The day saw little initial movement in the Laoise-Offaly count, with just one TD elected by late afternoon for one of the five seats yet to be filled.

Fine Gael’s Charlie Flanagan won his seat with 13,531 votes on the eighth count.

His party colleague John Moran was not so fortunate, crashing out on the seventh count.

Other candidates illiminated included independent John Leahy, who was so upset at his result he broke down in tears and had to be consoled by family members.

Not without dramas of its own, proceedings at the Galway-West ground to a halt when Fine Gael’s Fidelma Healy Eames requested a complete recount of all the votes cast.

As a result, a recount started at around 7.30pm after the count was adjourned for two hours.

Beforehand, Fianna Fail’s Eamon Cuiv was first to be elected to the five-seat constituency, followed by Labour’s Derek Nolan.

Meanwhile in Galway-East – where four seats were still up for grabs – a recount lasted from 9am to just after 7.30pm.

As a result, independent Tim Broderick – who was just six votes behind Fine Gael’s Tom McHugh – conceded defeat.

The eighth count then commensed, with none of the candidates having reached the quota.

Carlow-Kilkenny saw success for Fine Gael, with the party grabbing three of the five available seats. They were won by JP Phelan, Phil Hogan and Pat Deering.

The other two were won by Labour’s Ann Phelan and – in a rare victory for the party during the day – Fianna Fail’s John McGuinness. He polled 12,630 votes, with 14,160 votes going to Ms Phelan.

In Kerry-South, two independents took the three remaining seats, with them going to Tom Fleming and Michael Healy Rae.

Fine Gael’s Brendan Griffin was elected earlier on the fifth count with 12,636 votes.

Attending the count with his father Jackie – a former Fianna Fail stalwart – Healy Rae Jnr rejected any link to Fianna Fail.

He insisted he had always been an independent and had never been elected by a political party but he later hinted that he might be open to joining Fine Gael in any potential coalition with independents.

Cork South Central saw further gains for Fine Gael with the election of Jerry Buttimer and Simon Coveney. He was elected with 10,872 votes.

Fianna Fail’s Michael McGrath was also elected, doing so on the 12th count and to the exclusion of Sinn Fein’s Chris O’Leary.

Just two seats were up for grabs in Louth, and they went to Fine Gael’s Peter Fitzpatrick, who was elected on 13th count.

Labour’s Gerald Nash won the other seat, after his party colleague Mary Moran was illuminated on the eleventh count.

Published by

Random and Irish.